On Monday I was driving on 610 right were the junction to I10 is. (about 6-5 lanes of freeway). all of a sudden the my car's speed started rapidly dropping from 70 mph to about 40mph. I was in 2nd left lane I would either have to cross to the right were there were four lanes of traffic buzzing by or go one lane to the left where the cars were flying by. i put on my hazards and started praying for a opening to my left so I could get over to were there was thankfully a shoulder. I hit the gas a few more times hoping it would help but it only made my car slow down? i wondered if I was just pushing on the break and this disaster could be avoided. but no in fact it was the gas I was pressing on. I taped the gas again and the car started to accelerate as if nothing had happened.
Stupidly I decided to act like nothing happened either. I drove the car home and even drove it all the way to down town Houston and back to my house without any problem. then I told john about the previous incident. he immediately told me to sell the car. we had just had it repaired about two weeks ago and it has been about every six months that it has needed something done to it. I took it to a dealership who had promised 120% KBB. I told the sales man that I wanted to look at trading it in. the sales man TALKED ME OUT OF IT he told me that he didn't have anything for me in my price range that would get better or even close to the gas mileage I was getting in the caliber. I came home thinking everything would be great because a used car sales man said my car was worth keeping. John told me when I got home that he was washing his hands of the situation and whatever happened to my car was my problem.
Well the problem happened the next day when the car wouldn't even start. We had it towed. the car had a burned out fuel pump assembly. the mechanic told me it was caused by the moter starting to go out. I came home and started reading reviews about dodge calibers and based off of all of the complaints that I read the cars go bad at about 60-70K miles, mine has 67K miles. I knew what I had to do.
I fixed the car and took it home. I cleaned the whole thing out. I broke into tears removing the EZtag from the windshield of all things. I was a emotional mess every time I thought of what was to come. then Rocky and I went driving around to different dealerships and places like that. I had already checked the KBB values of the car and had gotten several quotes on how much my car was worth I even looked up what people were listing it for on Craigslist and Auto trader. I had thought about selling it on a place like that but I didn't want to see who would end up with the car. one dealership the one who said they would pay 120% over KBB values only offered me $5,200 it was a dodge dealership and I guess they knew how bad of a vehicle they had made. I finally sold it to the Toyota Dealership. they had me drive home with one of the salesmen and then he drove it back to the Dealership. Rocklond started crying when the man pulled away with our car. i tried to console him but I was crying too. (oh man, I am even crying now writing this)
we have owned this car for almost four years. john let me get it right after we got married. It has taken me everywere. we have drove to California, Idaho, Nevada, Missouri, and we drove it to our new home here in Texas. also many trips to salt lake over the years. this was the car we had when we brought Rocklond home form the hospital. It has survived as john has gone through his Toyota getting totaled and our crappy mercedes dying and the Chevy Malibu getting totaled. I didn't think I could love a car but I loved this car so much. I am going to miss driving it so much. : (
here is rocky acting like the salesmen at the dealership
and here is a picture Rocklond took of me at the dealership.
the next car I by wont be a dodge but I can't say I didn't love it while it lasted.
I heard you mention something about your car. What a bummer!!!!!
ReplyDeleteStop it you're making me cry.
ReplyDelete