Wednesday, March 21, 2012

True Women Book Tour

last week I left my little rocklond home with his daddy for the day so I could go on a historic tour of some homes in Seguin, TX

this is Rocklond playing with his pet Dolphin. (the tent) he would drag it around behind him and have me feed it fish (throw gloves into the door)

anyways back to the tour. I read the book True Woman by Janice Woods Windle. for my book club. for this month my wonderful friend who chose the book decided that instead of just a regular book club night where we all sit around and discuss the book we would go on a field trip to see the homes of the women from the book.  there were other landmarks that we saw on the way as well. here is the Sam Houston Oak it is in the front yard of one of the woman form the book's houses.  After what happened at the Alamo Sam Houston came hear to gather troops that then when on to fight the battle of San Jacinto.  

the book was really amazing and I was glad that I told myself I had to read it before I went on the trip. this is the home of Sarah who lead all of the women out of Seguin and surrounding areas in what would  later be called "the scrape" the home is in the process of being restored.  We were able to get a rare chance to walk through the home usually the front gate it locked to keep people out. we just happened to show up when there were some painters and lawn care guys working on the home.  


Another home we went to was of Bettie Moss her granddaughter still lives  in the home for a few months out of the year to help give tours. she is 98 years old. 

She read us a passage from the book and she had a thick southern accent while she read.  some of the furniture in the house once belonged to characters in the book. 

We had a wonderful trip full of many blue bonnets and other wildflowers that grew on the side of the road as we drove. I learned a lot about the wonderful ladys who went with me as well as the historic women. the book and the trip have really sparked my interest in learning more about American History. 

2 comments:

  1. 1.) I too have recently had an yearning to learn more about american history. I want to tour EVERY american landmark in the country.Maybe we can make a bucket list goal to visit one together someday?
    2.) I really want to start a book club.
    3.) that last picture of flowers is BEAUTIFUl
    4.) you look adorable pregnant.
    5.) I really miss you and wish our boys knew eachother

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5.) rocklond's pet dolphin, and the throwing of fish game is WONDERFUL and made me giggle

    ReplyDelete